Intellectual Property Unit
The role of the Intellectual Property Unit is outlined in terms of its responsibility for the development of intellectual property policy, the preparation of legislation and the provision of an intellectual property regime which reflects the international law environment and best practice.
The Patents Office (Address: Government Buildings, Hebron Road, Kilkenny; Telephone: 056 7720111) is responsible for the granting of patents; the registration of industrial designs and trade marks; and has certain limited functions under the Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000 in relation to Copyright disputes.
The work of the Unit covers areas of intellectual property such as:
- Consultation by the Preparatory Committee of the Unified Patent Court, on the proposal for the draft European Patent Litigation Certificate.
- The presentations from the WIPO seminars, held in Dublin, 16 June 2014 and Limerick 18 June 2014, are now available online.
- Under the sponsorship of the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation is jointly organising two seminars on Intellectual Property to showcase WIPO's offerings in the IP area. The seminars will be held on 16th June in Dublin and on 18 June in Limerick.
- A new brochure entitled "An Enhanced European Patent System", has been compiled by the implementing Preparatory Committee and Select Committee giving a broad overview of the Unitary Patent system and the Unified Patent Court
- Launch of EU Observatory survey on protection and enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights outside the EU.
- The EU Directive 2014/26/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 February 2014 on collective management of copyright and related rights and multi-territorial licensing of rights in musical works for online use in the internal market has been published in the Official Journal of the European Union.
- Public Consultation on Transposition of the Orphan Works Directive and the Use of Orphan Works under Irish Law
- Consultation on the EU proposal for a Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council on the protection of undisclosed know-how and business information (trade secrets) against their unlawful acquisition, use and disclosure.
- Summary of Responses to the Stakeholder Consultation on the EU proposals for a Review of the Trade Mark Directive and the Community Trade Mark Regulations
- European Union (Term of Protection of Copyright and Certain Related Rights) (Directive 2011/77/EU) Regulations 2013
- Report of the Copyright Review Committee: Modernising Copyright
- Regulatory Impact Assessment on Transposition of the Term of Protection Directive 2011/77/EU
- Consultation on the draft Rules relating to Unitary Patent Protection
- Consultation on the draft Rules of Procedure for the Unified Patent Court
The Unit consults with stakeholders from time-to-time.
Intellectual Property Legislation
A comprehensive list of Irish and EU intellectual property legislation is available here.
Guidelines and Procedures
Information on the following items, including guidelines and procedures, is available here:
• Authorisation to Register a State Emblem as a Trade Mark or use of a State emblem in connection with any business.
• A list of Classes of Records/Files held by the Unit.
• Freedom of Information Act
A list of contact details for the staff members of the Unit is available here; including telephone, email and postal addresses.
Last modified: 25/06/2014